Every year on April 22, the world is reminded of how much nature silently gives to us and how far we have to go to return the favor. At DRC, every day is Earth Day. Every day is an opportunity to make conscious choices in our daily lives in the face of the overwhelming consequences of climate change (whether it be using reusable utensils, joining a beach cleanup, or supporting awesome organizations like The Nature Conservancy).
We encourage you to join us in our mission to nurture the world that continues to nurture us, despite the odds that are stacked against us. Below are some of the examples our team members at DRC give back to the environment. We hope it will spark action and a greater awareness of the environment around you:
- Volunteering at a beach cleanup
- Checking out a compost workshop
- Turn your “garbage” into compost
- Helping out at the nearest lo’i (taro) patch
- Keeping an eye out for invasive plants and removing them (you can either do this in your own backyard, or volunteer at a local organization!)
- Consciously using reusable utensils
- Bringing your own container/bottle when ordering out
- Using cleaners with natural, less harsh ingredients
- Leading a packaging-free lifestyle
- Eliminating plastic from your daily life (use bamboo hairbrushes, bamboo toothbrushes, beeswax wrap, etc.)
- Bringing our favorite reusable tote bag when shopping
- Donating to awesome organizations that lead monumental environmental efforts such as The Nature Conservancy (DRC Joins Forces with The Nature Conservancy as a Member of the Corporate Council for the Environment)
- Wearing reef-safe sunscreen
- Eating plant-based foods when we can
- Growing our own herbs, vegetables, and fruits!
Incorporating little conscious efforts such as these into our lives makes leading an environmentally friendly lifestyle simple and seamless. The world does not ask us to be perfectly 100% zero-waste, but it does need us to take manageable steps towards its healing. Here at DRC, we are continuously committed to environmental progress, as a company and as individuals. To us, it is more than a day to celebrate the earth – it is a lifestyle that is crucial to saving it.